Tenant Information

Our knowledge, here for you

Below you will find some important information relating to the different parts of being a tenant with Bee City Living.

If there’s anything not covered in these sections, or you want some clarification on anything you’ve read, please feel free to contact us!


Emergency repairs are defined as any disrepair that poses a risk to the health and safety of a tenant, or any serious damage to the property/premises or tenant’s belongings. If someone is at risk of getting injured, being threatened or a crime is being committed and is in progress, please phone 999 and let us know afterwards. Likewise, if you require immediate medical attention or there is a danger to life, phone 999 immediately.

In the case of a gas or electricity emergency, please contact National Grid on the following emergency numbers:

  • National Grid – gas emergency: 0800 111 999
  • National Grid – electricity emergency: 0800 40 40 90

In an emergency that is defined as emergency repairs, please call us on:

The emergency number will divert through to a staff member’s phone so please allow it to ring, then divert, then ring again.

This does not mean we have staff on-call 24 hours a day – this number is available for you to use in a true emergency where your safety is in danger.

Please also remember that if you are phoning in the middle of the night, the staff member is liable to be asleep.

  • Frivolous or non-emergency use of this phone number will incur a fee – if your problem can wait until the following day please send us an email or a maintenance ticket and we will deal with your problem during business hours.

Please try to think about what exactly we might be able to do at the time of day/night you are calling us – if it is the middle of the night or a Sunday/Bank Holiday we are extremely unlikely to be able to call out contractors until normal business hours anyway (e.g. plumbers, electricians, boiler engineers etc).


There are a number of payment methods available for the occasion when you need to pay a deposit or make a rental payment.

Payments can be made via the following methods.

Bank Transfer

Bank transfers are the ideal option when paying us any money for rent or deposits; they are quick, easy and have no associated fees involved on our end.

  • For all bank transfers, please include what flat it is associated with, e.g. ‘Flat 105, Alto Block C’ could have a payment reference of ‘ACF105’ or something along those lines. This just helps us find your payments and link them to your account!

For international bank transfers, we have a separate account for this but please be aware that your bank will likely charge you an overseas transaction fee, so please remember to either arrange this with them beforehand or factor it into the payment amount to avoid any potential shortfall in the balance when the money reaches us.

Debit & Credit Cards

We accept debit and credit card payments via Chip and PIN at our office, or over the phone via 0161 211 3908 (we will be required to ask some security questions, such as the address your card is registered to).

Please note that because of the recent change in legislation, no card charges can or will be applied to transactions. We can only take holding payments via debit/credit card, with any payments for rent/deposit being made by the above Bank Transfer methods or via cash.


We accept cash payments at our office, although for security reasons we would recommend that you pay via Bank Transfer to avoid having to carry large amounts of cash on your person.

Moving-In: Collecting Keys

Collecting Keys

Your keys will be available for you to collect from our office at a pre-defined designated appointment slot, which can be any time on or after the start date of your tenancy, during our office opening hours (12:00-18:00 Monday to Friday, 11:00-15:00 Saturdays).

  • If you are unsure of your tenancy start date, please see the front page of your Tenancy Agreement or contact us!

Before coming to collect keys, you must have pre-agreed with us a time and date to pick your keys up. These key collection appointments are very important, especially during busy dates such as July 1st, when we have hundreds of key collections taking place. Turning up early or late may result in delays in getting you access to the property and moved in!

Please try to inform us at least two weeks before the day that you intend to collect your keys and move in, or as soon as you know for sure. This will helps us plan cleaning and maintenance work so that your flat can be ready for you when you move in – if you do not tell us when you intend to move in you may find that your flat is not 100% ready for you!

Prior to handing over keys and granting you access, we require to re-confirm your “Right to Rent”, and thus will need to see your valid documents again. Please note that no keys can be released to any tenant if there are unable to provide these documents, or if any other payments are outstanding (such as the full deposit or 1st-month/quarter’s rent), including any outstanding items from other members of your joint tenancy.

  • Keys cannot be released to any third party not named as a tenant on the Tenancy Agreement, and due to the right to rent checks, we can only release one set of keys to each tenant in person.
  • Just to triple-mention that failure to provide adequate Right to Rent proof or documentation will mean that we CANNOT release keys to you, and will have to re-arrange your move in.

After everything is sorted, you will then sign your keys out from our office and the number and type of key (or any fobs or electronic remotes) will be noted down. You will also be given a number of documents relating to your tenancy that you need to read and keep safe. Further details of these can be found in the important tenancy documents section below.

With regards to cleaning, we expect our tenants to clean thoroughly before they move out so your property should have been cleaned by the previous tenants, however we will check all of our properties and conduct inventory inspections during which the condition and cleanliness of each property is recorded. If any property falls below our high standards for cleaning, we will arrange for cleaning to be conducted before the new tenants (yourself) move in.

Important Tenancy Documents

As well as our welcome letter which informs you of some key aspects about your new home, you should also receive a few important documents from us at the start of your tenancy either physically when you collect keys or via email. It is important that you keep these documents for your records and so you can refer back to them.

Please ensure that you receive the following documents (if not please let us know):

  • A copy of the Tenancy Agreement for your property. The Tenancy Agreement is a joint agreement between you, any of your flatmates and the Landlord. Photocopies of the Tenancy Agreement can be provided for a fee, so please keep your original copy safe!
  • Tenancy Deposit Scheme certificate of protection for each tenant, a Prescribed Information document as well as a leaflet about the deposit scheme. You can also view your secured deposit and information about the TDS on their website.
  • You will also have received a copy of the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for property for your information. This shows how energy-efficient the property is, and you can find more information about them on Wikipedia.
  • gas safety certificate will also be provided if gas is used at your property.
  • Finally, you will be provided with a move in inventory that you will need to complete on the day that you receive your keys and return to us (either in person or via email within 7 days). Please see more information about move-in inventories below.
  • Please also see this ‘How to Rent’ guide published by the Government!

Moving-In: Performing a Move-In Inventory

Move In Inventory

You will be given a Move In Inventory Report by email (in PDF format) either on the day you collect your keys, or as soon as possible afterwards.

This Report is intended to catalogue:

  1. the furniture and fixtures and fittings present in the property and owned and provided by the Landlord, and
  2. the condition of these items at the time you take responsibility for them.

The report is several pages long and contains a lot of detail about the items in the property and their condition. You should read through the report carefully and we would recommend that you walk around the property as you do so, ensuring that you inspect and review for yourself the locations and conditions of everything listed.

If you notice anything that we have missed on our report or you disagree with something we have stated, you should add your notes in the appropriate place on the report. Once you are happy that the report (with or without your comments and amendments) satisfactorily describes the property and its contents, you should sign the ‘Document Signatures’ page and return the whole form to us by either email, hand or post.

The move in inventory is extremely important, as it will be used to check against when you are leaving and we are conducting out move-out inspections. Without amendments, you will be liable for any damages or discrepancies found during the move out checks.

You need to complete the inventory on the day of moving into your property and return it to us within 7 days. If we do not receive the inventory within this period, you will be automatically agreeing to the inventory that was completed prior to your move in date.

  • Should you require any items noticed during you move in inspection to be attended to or fixed, please log it on the maintenance system. We will not assume that problems or issues reported require attention, unless you tell us via the aforementioned system!

Supplementary Report Photographs

We would also strongly suggest you take detailed photographs of the property to supplement those contained in the Move In Inventory Report, paying special attention to any existing marks or wear-and-tear so that you have a record of what the property looked like when you moved in. If you email the photos to us at hello@beecityliving.co.uk (or get them to us via alternative methods) as soon as possible after you move in, then we will also have a dated record of these for use later during the move out inspections.

Again, without evidence such as notes or photographs of damage at the time of you moving in, we will be unable to guarantee that you won’t be liable for the damage at the end of your tenancy.

Contact Us

Should you find any cleaning or items within the property below the standard that you expect when you move in, please inform us immediately, and we will do everything within our power to amend the issues!

Moving-In: Setting up your Utilities and Bills

Here are some general facts about utilities and bills:

  • All properties are subject to Council Tax, however full-time students can apply for exemptions and there are other reductions that you may be eligible for.
  • All properties will have a water connection (you can find your supplier using this link).
  • All properties will have an electricity connection (either single rate or dual rate Economy 7 meters).
  • Some (but not all) properties will have gas connections.
  • Additionally, internet connections will need to be set up if you require it and it is not already provided.
  • Another bill would be the TV licence, if you require one (please see this page provided by TV Licensing to check if you need one or not).

Below is a rough guide as to what you should do to set up your bills and utilities when you move into your new property
(please note that if you have any bills such as electricity, gas, water or internet included, some of these steps might not apply to you):

  1. Contact Manchester City Council/Salford City Council to update them of your new address and claim exemptions or reductions where applicable.
    We will inform your local council of the names of all tenants and the start dates of your tenancy, so we strongly recommend that you contact them to sort out your council tax details as soon as you move in!
  2. Contact your water supplier (likely to be United Utilities, but you can confirm this on their page here) and let them know that you’ve moved.
  3. Contact the current supplier of electricity and gas (where applicable) to inform them that you’re the new tenants, and set up an account with them (you will need to pay them for any use up until you switch to a new provider, if you so choose to!).
    If you need to find out who the current supplier is, they should send you a letter or you can find out using the information on this page.
    TIP: Set up an online account with all of your suppliers, this will allow you to access your account when you’re away or after you’ve left the property!
    TIP: We suggest performing an energy comparison search to find the best rates/deals for your electricity, gas and/or internet – this has the potential to save you a lot of money!
  4. Set up your internet with your preferred supplier.
  5. Purchase a TV licence, but only if you require it.
  6. We strongly recommend that all tenants protect their property and belongings via some sort of contents insurance!
    Our landlords are required to have landlord insurance for the property, however this will not cover your belongings!

Mid-Tenancy: Maintenance

This section covers an overview of the maintenance system, and the process of logging or updating a maintenance ticket via the maintenance system.

  • It’s worth noting that if you think your issue is an emergency, please see the emergencies section first!

Before You Report

Before you report a new maintenance issue, please see our common maintenance problems knowledge base to see if your problem can be resolved quickly and with minimal hassle!

Reporting a New Issue

If the maintenance knowledge base did not solve your maintenance issue, please open up a new ticket via the maintenance system.

To report a new maintenance problem, you will need to log into the system (or create an account first if you haven’t already done so). Once logged into your account, click on the ‘Open a New Ticket’ option at the top of the page, which will take you to the new ticket page.

This will provide you with a form where you can select Issue Categories from a list, put in an Issue Summary (similar to an email subject) and an Issue Description, where you can fully explain the maintenance issue.

  • Please make sure to attach any relevant photos or videos of your issue so we can assist you quicker!
  • Please also note that you can only have 1 open ticket at a time, so please include all relevant details into a single ticket!

After reading and choosing a relevant ‘Access Notice’ level, clicking on the ‘Create Ticket’ button will notify us of this issue and it should also now appear in your Maintenance log!

Checking on the Status of an Issue

After we have received your ticket, the status will be changed from ‘Open’ to a few different statuses, pertaining to any developments. As our work on the issue develops, we will alter the status of your ticket and add replies to the thread where appropriate! You can also add replies if you have any questions or need to add anything extra to your original message.

Eventually, after the issue has been resolved, the ticket will be marked as something similar to ‘Resolved’ or ‘Closed’.

Cancelling or Reopening an Issue

If you need to cancel a ticket after creating it or need it to be reopened after it has been marked as completed, please send us an email to let us know or open a new ticket if required!

Mid-Tenancy: Noise and Behaviour

Toggle Content

Mid-Tenancy: Fire Safety and Smoking

Toggle Content

Mid-Tenancy: Mould and Condensation

Toggle Content

Mid-Tenancy: Rubbish and Recycling

Toggle Content

Mid-Tenancy: Security

Toggle Content


Moving out at the end of a tenancy is never a simple process, and if you’re coming to the end of your tenancy, you might be wondering what to do next. To help make sure your rented property is in order before you pack up and move onto your new home, we’ve put together this handy guide to help this process go smoothly.

Before you move out make sure you have paid any remaining rent that is due. Keep in mind that some methods of payment can take a few days to clear, so pay in plenty of time so that by move out day all monies have cleared and no rent is owed.

Ensure that your standing orders have been cancelled after your final rental payment!

As an important note, we’d prefer that you leave your property as it was offered to you and that no deposit deductions have to be made. Cleaning costs and unpaid rent are the top reasons why deposit money is withheld when a tenant moves out of a rented property!

Prior to moving out we will be in contact to arrange an appointment for a move out inventory inspection and Key return appointment. The inspection aims to review the state of the property, see if there is any damage that needs fixing, or see if any areas of the property need cleaning before the next tenant moves in.

End of tenancy cleaning

Cleaning is the number one reason for landlord/tenant deposit disputes, so the cleaner and tidier you leave the property, the more likely you are to get your full deposit back. If you don’t fancy getting your hands dirty, however, you can always arrange for a professional clean of the property, prior to your move out inspection. The upholstery, carpets, windows, curtains, appliances and outdoor areas will all need to be left in the same state as at the start of your tenancy.

If extra cleaning is found to be needed to remedy the state of the property up to the required standards, then we will have to get cleaners to clean the property. Often cleaning companies charge a minimum cleaning charge, and the actual charge could be considerably higher depending on the amount of cleaning required.

As a company we don’t gain any money from these charges, they are set and invoiced to us by the cleaning company. Any cleaning charges will be discussed with you, and removed from your total deposit amount.

Remember, all rubbish or personal belongings should be removed and light bulbs replaced (where necessary) and anything else that didn’t come with the property when you moved in! Again, we are liable to charge for removing items where required. We know from experience that each summer a lot of extra rubbish is created by tenants moving out. Usually, the Council arrange extra bin collections in student areas and provide special arrangements for recycling or donating to charity unwanted furniture or appliances.

We highly recommend that you refer back to your Move in Report which was sent to you at the beginning of your tenancy and use as a handy tool. Here you will find pictures to remind you how the property was offered to you also setting a standard to how the property is expected to be returned!

Your cleaning guidelines

The list below details what you need to pay particular attention to before you move out and works well as a checklist to use:

Throughout the property, including your bedrooms:

  • Carpets: Hoovered, clean and tidy (empty hoover afterwards)
  • Woodwork: Skirting boards, window sills and door frames cleaned & wiped down removing any marks
  • Furniture: All clean, emptied (check under mattresses/behind headboards/sofa cushions) & polished
  • Curtains/Blinds: All clean and hung properly
  • Walls: Cleaned down and any white tack removed
  • Light Bulbs: Replace any bulbs that have gone out since you move in
  • Floors and stairs: Hoovered and mopped. This includes under and behind furniture!
  • Windows: Cleaned on the inside using non-smear glass-cleaning fluid/spray.

In the kitchen:

  • Appliances: Clean around, behind and under all appliances, as well as cleaning inside them.
  • Cooker (including oven & hob): Cleaned inside and out thoroughly.
  • Fridge/Freezer: Cleaned inside and out thoroughly (including trays, and seals) the freezer defrosted (switch off at the mains and leave the doors open if you turn it off, to prevent mould & odours)
  • Dishwasher: Clean inside the machine’s filter (please consult the instruction manual for your appliance for details on how to do this, it’s usually quite easy!) and clean the door and door seal.
  • Washing machine: Clean inside the washing machine drum so its free of mildew and inside the washing machine detergent draw (which can be fully removed), clean outside the machine free of residue.
  • Cupboards/Shelving: Cleaned inside and out.
  • Worktops & Splash backs: All cleaned and wiped down
  • Flooring: Cleaned and mopped

In the bathroom(s):

  • Bath, shower (including curtain/screen) toilet and sink: All cleaned and free of black mildew marks on sealant or between tiles (these can be removed using a cleaning spray that contains bleach)
  • Drains and plug holes: Ensure all buildup is cleared away and water drains quickly
  • Bathroom fixtures and fittings: Thorough clean to remove limescale buildup, soap scum and mildew.
  • Shower screen and mirrors: Clean thoroughly using non-smear glass-cleaning spray.
  • Flooring: Cleaned and mopped
  • Paintwork: Any condensation mould or staining wiped down and cleaned

Top tips & reminders!

  • Remember to change cloths/sponges/scrubbers regularly while you are doing your cleaning – wiping a surface with a dirty cloth will just move the dirt around and leave dirty smeary marks!
  • Often the oven and fridge/freezer is not cleaned thoroughly enough! You will find that cleaning the oven and fridge/freezer can be a time-consuming job but it is worth persevering with this though, as cleaners often charge an extra premium for cleaning these appliances which we would have to pass on to you
  • Leave all operating and instruction manuals for the appliances, boiler, heaters, etc. in the property – please do not throw these away so the next tenants can use them!
  • If some of your housemates are leaving early, make plans to ensure they can complete their share before they go!
  • We cannot keep furniture (such as shelves) or electrical appliances (such as microwaves or TVs) that were not supplied to you by the Landlord at the start of your tenancy so it is better for you to dispose of these items before you move out to avoid removal charges.
  • Often doors and shelves in the kitchen can be greasy, we recommend using some sort of de-greasing spray and please check to make sure you have not left smeary marks behind once it dries.

Common issues with damages and repairs

There are often times when damages can occur, these may be accidents, through neglect, or as a result of your behaviour or one of your guests. We know that damage is generally not caused deliberately, however if damage occurs it needs to be repaired regardless of how it was damaged.

If something is damaged due to fair wear and tear or due to a mechanical fault out of yours or our control, then the Landlord will be happy to bear the charge. If anything in your rental property becomes damaged you are responsible for the necessary repair or replacement. We never want to apply any charges, but must do so if things are damaged or require cleaning outside of “fair wear and tear”.

Fair wear and tear

Obviously when you are living in a property it will start to show signs of wear and tear and landlords expect this. At Bee City Living, we define fair wear and tear to be expected or reasonable marks, wear or damage caused by normal and reasonable use. Unfortunately the definition has to be vague as, at times, the delineation between the two is equally as ambiguous!

Some examples of damage and our classification are found below:

  1. Marks on the wall from blue tack or similar fixings – Damage
  2. Hole in the wall – Damage
  3. Ruining carpets with stains or cigarette burns – Damage
  4. Small scuff marks – Fair wear and tear
  5. Broken curtain pole – Damage

If you have rented a property that is full or part furnished, inspect the furniture and check for any damage! If you have caused any accidental damage then do get it repaired professionally.

A handy guide to follow for those common cleaning issues and repairs!

Posters and hangings on walls

Any use of nails, hooks, blu/white tack or sellotape can leave marks or holes in walls, doors or other surfaces. If these are not repaired before you move out, we will likely have to charge for redecoration of the affected areas.

You can use a guide like this to fill and paint holes, or remove blu tack stains.

If you do attempt repair and can’t match the finish of the wall properly, it may be worth painting an entire wall to avoid the new areas of paint being noticed.

Mould on the silicone around bathtubs/showers

This happens when the silicone around the base of a shower/bathtub isn’t regularly dried leaving a residue causing mould on the silicone.

An incredibly easy way of doing this is using bleach and some paper towels – see this video for the method.

Limescale on grout between bathroom tiles + shower screens

Pink or orange limescale often builds up on the grouting between tiles in bathrooms/showers.

This can easily be removed using some cleaning supplies and a toothbrush or similar bristled tool. See this video for an example and more details.

Likewise, limescale on shower screens also needs to be cleaned, as described in this video.

Mould and mildew around window and window sills

Light mould can often occur around windows due to poor ventilation or excess condensation (from showers, cooking or drying clothes).

These spots can quickly and easily be cleaned using a mix of bleach and water, please see this guide for a walkthrough of the process.

Missing/spent light bulbs and batteries

If your light bulbs no longer work, or a smoke/carbon monoxide alarm battery is low, these will need to be replaced before you leave.

If we need to replace them for you, as they were working when you moved in, then we would need to charge £5 per bulb, and £3 per battery for the cost of the item and the time to replace it.

If you’re not sure what bulb to get or need help replacing it, please let us know ASAP so we can help you ahead of moving out!

Move out inventory inspection

Prior to moving out, we will be in contact to arrange an appointment for a move out inventory inspection. The inspection aims to review the state of the property, see if there is any damage that needs fixing, or see if any areas of the property need cleaning before the next tenant moves in.

  • All items need to be removed from your property, including rubbish, personal items, and anything else that didn’t come with the property when you moved in! If we turn up to conduct the inspection and you still have items in the flat or are otherwise not ready for it, then we will be unable to conduct the inspection and will have to come back at a later time. This will be a waste of both of our time, so please make sure you’re either ready or let us know to rearrange before hand!
  • Where possible, we aim to conduct these inspections with you, the tenant, present (so we can discuss the state of the property and try and resolve any issues there and then!), however if you’re leaving the property outside of our office hours or during very busy periods we may be unable to do the inspection with you.
  • We can also only conduct move out inspections after we have received all keys back, or if the last person is handing back keys at the end of the inspection. This is because the inspection must be the final state of the property, and if someone has access to it afterwards we can’t account for any further damage or cleaning that could be required!

After conducting our move out inspection, you will receive the move out report within 10 days of leaving the property. This report will detail the general condition of the property, any chargeable damages and any areas that need cleaning. We will email you this report and include any charges that are set to be deducted from your deposit, and any deductions will need to be agreed upon before the deposit can be returned to you.

The report will also contain pictures of the property and the condition it was left in, highlighting any damages or cleaning that requires attention, and we will also provide you with photographs of your utility meters for your reference.

  • We are committed to being a responsible and fair company, so if you feel like the charges are not justified, you have the right to contest them and we can discuss the charges further!
  • For all tenancies, TDS Custodial will have on record who the lead tenant is, and it will be up to the lead tenant to assign how much deposit goes back to each tenant.
  • Please note that light bulbs, smoke/CO alarm batteries, vacuum cleaner bags (where applicable) and other consumables need to be replaced by yourself prior to moving out. Should a light bulb be working when you move into the property, and it isn’t working when you’ve moved out, you will be charged for it.

Returning your keys

When contacting us for a move out inspection, you will also be asked to make an appointment for a key return.

On the actual day of your move out, you’ll hopefully have packed everything up ready to be moved out of the property and cleaned the property to the required standard. If you’re having a move out inspection with a member of staff, then you can return your keys to them there and then.

  • If you’re leaving outside of our office hours or don’t have an inspection booked, then keys must be returned to our office in person no later than 3pm on the final day of your tenancy.
  • If you’re unable to hand in keys to us in person, please place the keys in a sealed envelope/package and post it through our secured letter box. Please ensure to let us know beforehand, and write your name and flat on the outside of the envelope.
  • You are responsible for your keys and fobs until they reach us, deductions may be made for keys returned late or for keys lost.

It is important that we receive all keys back before the end of your tenancy! Usually, the next tenants will be moving in very soon after and if we are unable to provide them with a secure property to move into, then we are required to change the locks for them and you will be charged for the charges that go along with such a replacement.

Even in such a scenario, we would still require the keys to be returned immediately.

Leaving early?

If you’re planning on moving out of your property before your tenancy officially finishes, please give us a call or send us an email to make us aware. You will still be liable for your rent until your tenancy officially ends, but if all tenants do leave the property early (and return their keys), we’ll look to carry out our end of tenancy inspection early so we can get your deposits back to you more quickly.

Final meter readings & closing utilities

As part of our move out inspections, we will take any and all possible meter readings (i.e. water, electricity, gas) and include them on the move out report. We recommend taking your own meter readings, but we will also provide you with photos of the meters as part of the report.

Once you have received your move out report and the included meter readings, please contact the utility suppliers that you were with and let them know that you’ve moved out, and to provide you with a final bill.

  • A lot of the time, utility suppliers will provide you with estimated bills at the end of your tenancy. These are usually inaccurate and result in you paying them too much! Please make sure you provide them with the actual end meter readings and the date of the end of your tenancy!
  • Please note that as per the  Utility Liability Undertaking form you signed as part of the application process, you are liable for any and all water, gas and electricity bills up to the end of your tenancy (including standing charges). For example, leaving 4 days before your tenancy is set to end would still leave you liable to pay any day standing charges that may apply to your water, electricity or gas tariff for those remaining 4 days.

Council tax

You are liable for your council tax up to (and including) the day that your tenancy ends. Please use one of the following pages for your local city council to inform them of your change in address:

Even if you’re a student and have been exempted from council tax, you still need to let them know that you’re moving!

Redirecting post

It might be worth getting your mail re-directed to your new address, to try and make sure nothing gets lost or incorrectly sent to your old address!

This would be done via the Royal Mail themselves, and their redirection service can be found on this website here!

Please note that we are not able to retrieve post for you that was sent to your old address!

Deposit return procedure

The deposit return procedure starts with the move out inspection, and end with returning your deposit to you! The general steps are as follows:

  1. You move out, and we conduct our move out inspection
  2. We email you the move out report, utility liability form and inform you of any charges to be deducted from your deposit (where appropriate)
  3. You fill out the tenancy liability form and email it back to us
  4. If you would like to discuss any charges, this would be the time, else please confirm any applicable charges
  5. After the above steps have been completed, we will contact TDS Custodial and ask them to release your deposit back to you

Please note that due to the high volume of move outs to process, please read the following:

  • Everything is being sorted out as quickly as humanly possible, however we need to be fair to all of our tenants and can’t prioritise anyone’s move out/deposit return sorry
  • You will be notified about the results of the move out inspection via email within 10 days of your tenancy ending

Tenancy Liability Forms

As part of the move out report, we will also include a tenancy liability form for you to fill in and sign. You should fill out the following information:

  • The name of who supplied your utilities, in the spaces provided
  • Your signature in the appropriate place
  • Your forwarding address under your name/signature

It can then be returned to us via email, after either completing it electronically, scanning it or taking a photograph of the completed page.

The form essentially states that you’re confirming your liability for the utilities and council tax at the property for the duration of your tenancy, and saves you from having to provide proof of final bills being paid.

It also asks you to confirm you’re accepting any deductions to your deposit, either because of damages that need repairing or further cleaning is required at the property.

Once you have completed the Tenancy Liability form and confirmed any applicable charges, we will ask TDS Custodial to start the return of your deposit as soon as possible!

Tenant’s Rights and Responsibilities

In this section, you can find the rights and responsibilities of all tenants that have tenancies with us! The following information has been compiled from a number of sources, which are referenced where appropriate and can be found at the bottom of the page for further reading!

  • Please note that although a lot of points refer to your ‘landlord’, if we are managing the property we will be the ones conducting any remedial works or acting on behalf of the landlord!
  • Additionally, as an accredited member of Manchester Student Homes, we adhere to their Code of Standards!

Tenant’s Rights

Please note that these rights are generally centred around private renting and tenancies, however you also have more general rights such as the right to not be discriminated against etc.

As a tenant, you have the right to[1][2]:

  • Live in a property that’s safe and in a good state of repair – Please also see the Maintenance section!
  • Have your deposit protected via a deposit scheme (we use the TDS Custodial scheme)
  • Know who your landlord or their agents are
  • Live in the property undisturbed in ‘peaceful enjoyment’ (unless there is an emergency!)
  • A copy of the Energy Performance Certificate for the property (provided as part of your welcome pack)
  • A copy of the Gas Safety Certificate (where applicable, and also provided as part of your welcome pack)
  • Be provided with the Government guide ‘How to rent: The checklist for renting in England’
  • Be protected from unfair eviction and unfair rent (under an assured shorthold tenancy (AST), you are required to be served with a Section 21 Notice in the 2 months prior to the end of your tenancy, and any extension or tenancy renewal will have already been discussed and agreed upon beforehand via a new tenancy agreement!)

In addition to the above list, the landlord is also legally obligated to[3]:

  • Ensure the property (Please note that this only covers the structure and the landlord’s furniture, NOT the tenant’s possessions!
  • Never change the locks on the property without informing you and supplying you with new keys
  • Never purposefully cut off any utilities, such as water, gas or electricity
  • Never threaten you, either physically or verbally
  • Never interfere with your mail

Gas, Electrical and Fire Safety

With regards to gas safety, your landlord must[4][2]:

  • Make sure gas equipment they supply is safely installed and maintained by a Gas Safe registered engineer
  • Have a registered engineer do an annual gas safety check on each appliance and flue
  • Give you a copy of the gas safety check record before you move in, or within 28 days of the check

For electrical safety, your landlord must[4][2]:

  • Make sure the electrical system in the property is safe, e.g. sockets and light fittings
  • Ensure all provided appliances are safe, e.g. cookers and refrigerators

For fire safety, your landlord must[4][2]:

  • Follow all relevant fire safety regulations
  • Provide a smoke alarm on each storey and a carbon monoxide alarm in any room with a solid fuel burning appliance (for example a coal fire or wood burning stove)
  • Check you have access to escape routes at all times (we require your help with this – please never block or otherwise impede fire safety routes or access points!)
  • Make sure the furniture and furnishings supplied are fire safe

Maintenance and Repairs

Your landlord is always responsible for repairs to[5][2]:

  • The property’s structure and exterior
  • Basins, sinks, baths and other sanitary fittings including pipes and drains
  • Heating and hot water
  • Gas appliances, pipes, flues and ventilation
  • Electrical wiring
  • Any damage caused by their contractors attempting repairs

Please do not attempt to carry out repairs on your own, if you damage anything in an attempt to fix or repair something, you are likely to be liable for the costs associated with repairing or replacing it!

  • If any part of your property needs repairs or attention, please head over to the maintenance section to find out more info!
  • In general, your landlord is also responsible for the repair and upkeep of any common or communal areas, with some exceptions when the landlord does not have ownership over these areas! (Please also note that this does not include taking out your bins!)

Tenant’s Responsibilities

As a tenant, the following responsibilities are required of you[1]:

  • Provide valid ‘Right-to-Rent’ documentation for checks, in line with the Government’s imposed checks
  • Take good care of the property, e.g. turn off the water at the mains if you’re away in cold weather (please see the Mid-Tenancy guide for further information about this point!)
  • Pay the agreed rent, even if repairs are needed or you’re in dispute with your landlord or us
  • Repair or pay for any damage caused by you, your family, friends or visitors – Please see our section on Moving Out for further information!
  • Pay other charges as agreed with the landlord, e.g. Council Tax, TV licence or utility bills (unless your contract explicitly states you have bills included within the rental amount)
  • Not sublet any property or room
  • Not block or otherwise impede any escape access routes, in case of emergencies


  1. The Government’s page on private renting, Rights and Responsibilities
  2. Manchester Student Homes’ page on Rights, Responsibilities and Repairs
  3. The Tenants’ Voice page on Tenant rights
  4. The Government’s page on private renting, Safety Responsibilities
  5. The Government’s page on private renting, Repairs

Useful Contacts and Resources

Housing/Tenancy Related

Manchester Student Homes
manchesterstudenthomes@manchester.ac.uk / 0161 275 7680

Manchester Student Homes is a free, university-run housing service for students. They provide landlord accreditation, property searches and independent housing advice!

Neighbourhood Helpline:
neighbourhood.helpline@manchester.ac.uk / 0161 275 1863

A 24-hour voicemail service for residents or students to report noise disturbances or any other issues relating to students in the community.

Tenancy Deposit Scheme:
info@tenancydepositscheme.com / 0300 037 1001

The Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS) is the Government-authorised scheme that we use to protect all tenancy deposits.


info@shelter.org.uk / 0808 800 4444

A place for free and impartial housing help and advice.

United Utilities:

Various numbers for different services

The water/wastewater supplier for the Greater Manchester area!

The University of Manchester

Manchester Metropolitan University

Other Manchester Institutions

Manchester City Services

Other Generally Useful Links

Through Crimestoppers you can report information about crimes anonymously.
Contact 111 if you require any non-emergency medical advice from the NHS.
Free phone number for support for any and all reason, talk to someone about anything confidentially, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
If you have any concerns or suspicions about a child’s safety or wellbeing, please contact the free helpline service to speak to an NSPCC counsellor, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Unsure about something covered about, or have questions about anything else? Let us know!

Compare listings